- How do I dispose of paint?
Apply kitty litter or other absorbent material to dry the paint. Dispose of dried paint in can with lid off into regular refuse. Pour paint onto/or spread out newspaper, let air dry, dispose of newspaper and can with lid off.
- How do I dispose of a freezer, de-humidifier, refrigerator, air-conditioner, or other appliance with Freon?
Mail check for $15.00 payable to Town of Cortlandt, 1 Heady Street, Cortlandt Manor, 10567. We will mail you a sticker to place on the unit. Please remove for door, curbside pick up.
- How do I dispose of a TV, VCR, computer monitor and other CRT (cathode ray tube) appliances?
These items should not be disposed of with the regular trash. Sanitation accepts ALL electronics every Thursday from 1:00pm-3:00pm at Buchanan DES located at 218 Westchester Avenue. Best Buy will also accept most electronics free of charge. The Sanitation Division will charge $5.00 to pick up electronic items (up to 2 items per household).
- Why was my large (greater than 32 gallons or 70 lbs.) not picked up?
Town Code requires that the residential service is not to exceed two 32-gallon containers. The large cans pose an injury hazard to men lifting larger containers. The larger containers are designed for an automated service, which the Town does not provide.
- How does the collection schedule change on a Holiday week?
The collection service would be cancelled on the Holiday and other services moved AHEAD one day. Bulk pick ups are cancelled on Holiday weeks. Example: Monday Holiday, Monday pick up is on Tuesday, paper pick up is moved to Thursday, and co-mingles recyclables moved to Friday.
- Where does the household refuse/garbage go?
There is no landfill. The refuse is transported for incineration (garbage to energy), plant, RESCO, on Charles Point Blvd. in Peekskill.
- Where do the recyclable products go?
They are transported to a Westchester County operated Transfer Station on Roa Hook Road. The city then transports these to processing markets. (Effective 2002)
- Why does the Town not pick up grass clippings?
Grass and all other organic yard wastes have been identified by NYS DEC as recyclable and can not go to incineration. Leave on lawn, or backyard composting is recommended.
- How do I dispose of branches from trees?
Use for firewood.
Call DES Sanitation Division 914-737-0100 to schedule a chipper truck service.
Have tree taken down, contractor chip and take away.
- How do I dispose of home re-modeling building materials and demolition debris?
Have a contractor remove and dispose.
Check phone book for local hauling/carting company.
- How dangerous is the job of Sanitation Laborer?
Very, national statistics show this occupation to be hazardous.
- Why is it BAD to place chemicals, liquids, etc. into trash?
Combustible material mix and are hazardous to workers on truck.
Hazardous fumes being inhaled by workers.
Liquids sprayed onto workers by truck crushing load.
- What safety equipment is supplied on each truck?
Each truck is equipped and inspected to NY State DMV requirements, in addition each truck is equipped with a back-up video camera and cab monitor.
- What is a household chemical clean up day?
Westchester County Household Material Recovery Facility (H-MRF) is open year-round for drop-off of these items. Call 914-813-5425 for more information.
- I am moving and have unused household chemicals to dispose, what do I do?
These items can be disposed of at the Westchester County Household Material Recovery Facility (H-MRF) in Valhalla. Call 914-813-5425 for more information.
- I have tires with and without metal rims, what do I do?
Mail check payable to Town of Cortlandt, 1 Heady Street, Cortlandt Manor, 10567. We will mail you a sticker to place on the tires. Tires with metal rims are $3.00 each, tires with no rims are $1.00 each.
- I am moving and missed my Friday bulk pick-up, what do I do?
A special bulk pick-up can be arranged for a $25 Special Fee. (See #2)
- What do I do with leaves?
Place curbside in paper/biodegradable bags, which will be picked up according to schedule. If you need a pickup other than the scheduled pickup call Sanitation at 914-737-0100 to schedule a pickup.
- Does the Town provide litter patrol?
Yes, there are work crews that are periodically assigned on Town roads.
- What is Sharp Smarts?
Many people use sharps (needles, syringes and lancets) as part of their home medical care.
Proper disposal of sharps is important to the safety of the sharps user and to workers who handle trash.
Use a container that is: leakproof, shatterproof, and puncture proof with a screw top. (Good choices are durable plastic bottles, bleach and detergent bottles.)
Bad choices are: glass and aluminum containers, metal cans with flimsy lids and cardboard container.
Place lancets or needle and syringe in the container IMMEDIATELY after using.
· DO NOT recap, bend needles or break lancets.
· SECURE the top on the container.
· Label the container "SHARPS".
· DO NOT label it "Medical Waste," or "BIOHAZARD," etc.
· When the home container is full, make sure the top is screwed on securely, then apply tape around
the top and the neck of the container. NEVER PUT SHARP CONTAINERS IN WITH RECYCLABLES.
- How are dead animals removed and disposed?
Contact DES at 914-737-0047 to remove dead animals from Town roadways. We do not pick up animals on private property, that is the property owner's responsibility.
- Are plastic bags acceptable for collection of Thursday recyclables?
No, placing recyclables in plastic bags is a common and costly mistake. Plastic bags mixed in with other recyclables contaminate the entire load being brought to the Material Recovery Facility. (MRF) They have to be removed at taxpayer's expense (that's you) before the other recyclable materials can be processed. If you save your glass, metal and plastic containers in plastic bags, just dump the recyclables out of the bag and into the bin/ container on collection day and either throw the plastic bags away or reuse them.
- What is an "OOPS" sticker? And why did I get one?
An "oops" sticker is a reminder program that points out to the resident that there is some reason for non pick up. Examples: recyclables mixed with garbage.
- Does the Town provide recycling bins?
Yes they are $8.00 each. Bins can be purchased at Town of Cortlandt Town Hall located at 1 Heady Street, Cortlandt Manor, NY 10567.
- I am a new resident, what should I do to start residential solid waste curbside collection?
Call our office 914-737-0100 to request a printed guide to Recycling and Solid Waste Disposal Services.
- How do I dispose of paint?