Con Edison Offers Tips to Beat the Heat and Save Money
CON EDISON OFFERS TIPS
TO BEAT THE HEAT AND SAVE MONEY
NEW YORK – Con Edison reminds customers they can take simple steps to save energy and money as warm weather rolls into the area.
The company recommends that customers take these steps:
- Turn off air conditioners, lights and other appliances when not at home and use a timer to turn on your air conditioner about a half-hour before arriving home;
- Make sure air conditioner filters are clean so the units will run at peak efficiency;
- Set thermostats to the highest comfortable temperature. Each degree lower increases cooling costs by 6 percent;
- If you have a room air-conditioning unit, close off the rooms not being used; if you have central air, block the vents in un-used or vacant rooms;
- To reduce heat and moisture in your apartment or home, run appliances such as ovens, washing machines, dryers and dishwashers in the early morning or late at night when it’s generally cooler outside. Use a microwave to cook, or barbecue outside, if possible;
- Keep shades, blinds and curtains closed. About 40 percent of unwanted heat comes through windows. Simply drawing blinds and curtains, which act as a layer of insulation, can reduce heat in your apartment or home;
- Try using fans instead of air conditioners, but be sure to leave your windows open for ventilation. Fans use as little as one-tenth the energy as air conditioners.
To learn more about Con Edison’s Smart AC program, visit www.conedsmartac.com.
Con Edison has prepared its underground and overhead electric-delivery systems to provide reliable service to customers during the hot summer months. The company invested $1.5 billion in its systems to prepare for the summer of 2019.
Electric supplies are sufficient to meet the projected demand for electricity this week, and company crews are ready to respond to any outages that occur.
Customers can report outages and check service restoration status at www.conEd.com or by calling 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633). When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power.
Customers who report outages will be called by Con Edison with their estimated restoration times as they become available.
Con Edison offers a number of mobile solutions so you can manage your accounts, report and check the status of an outage, learn energy-saving tips, and more. Text REG to OUTAGE (688243) to sign up for text notifications, and follow the prompts. You will need to enter your Con Edison account number to complete the registration process. Once you've registered, you will not need your account number to report or check the status of a power problem.
Or visit us here to stay on top of outages and power problems by signing up for text notifications.