Basic Procedures for the Cortlandt Consolidated Water District
NOTE: Forms are available under Forms and downloads
1. Final Readings – Seller’s attorney requires final reading prior to closing. (Town does not require a final reading). At least 24 hours notice is required to set up an appointment. The Town will certify reading and give consumption and dollar amount to homeowner or representative to take to closing. A fee of $45.00 will be added to the bill for this special reading. Please call NWJWW at (914) 737-7676 to schedule an appointment.
2. Trench inspection – Upon receiving a request for a trench inspection, the Town will send out an inspector to verify depth of trench, type of tubing, check for leaks and a contractor should provide as-built measurements and photos of installation and verify Back Fill material used. . The Town will also take measurements and put on field card, which is kept at Water Department office. The Town requires at least 24 hours notice for scheduling of inspections.
Please contact CCWD at (914) 734-1026 to arrange inspections.
3. New Meter installation –Upon request for a water meter for new construction, the Town will install a new meter at the residence providing the trench inspection was completed and application fees have been paid. A meter will be installed in a heated area if residence is less than 100’ from the road. The homeowner shall install a meter pit if the residence is more than 100’ from the road.
Please Note - Applicants should contact the Northern Westchester Joint Water Works at (914) 737-7676 to request all meter installations.
4. Application for Water Service – A Tap application must be filled out and lot ownership and water availability investigated by the Town before Tap is installed. Tapping fees ($375.00) must be paid prior to work. All work is to be completed by a licensed plumber, knowledgeable in tapping water mains. Water Taps must be done with at least 24 hours notice given to the Water Dept. prior to the start of work. No Taps will be done on weekends, and will be done only between the hours of 7:30AM – 3:30PM Monday through Friday.
5. Meter Tests – If a resident feels that there is a problem with their water meter, they may request a meter test. Meters are tested at a high flow 30 gallons per minute, medium flow 10 gallons per minute and slow flow of 5 gallons per minute. Allowable differences are ± 2%. If a meter tests out workable, there is a $50.00 charge for the test and their water bill may be adjusted accordingly.
6. Water Turn Off or Turn On – Please contact the Northern Westchester Joint Water Works at (914) 737-7676 to schedule an appointment for water turn on or turn off. The Town will turn off water on an emergency basis 24/7. There will be a charge to have the water turned off or turned on after working hours. For seasonal residents, a fee will be charged to turn the water on and a fee will be charged to turn the water off at the end of the season. At least 24 hours notice is required for this service.
7. Water line locates – Please contact the Northern Westchester Joint Water Works at (914) 737-7676 to schedule an appointment for water line locates.The Town will, with at least 24- 48 hours notice, mark out service line from the water main to the residence. The homeowner must fill out a request form permitting the Town to come onto their property. This form also states that the mark out may not be 100% accurate.
8. Account information – Account information will be given to the verified homeowner. A request from anyone else (lawyer, realtor, etc.) must be requested in writing by the homeowner.
For account information please contact Northern Westchester Joint Water Works at (914) 737-7676.
9. Water Main Fire Flow tests – Applicants who request flow tests are required to hire a private Engineering firm to conduct the test and must arrange for the Town of Cortlandt Water division to witness the test and flow the fire hydrants. Copies of the test results must be forwarded to the Town of Cortlandt Water Departmentt least 48 hours notice is required for a flow test.
Please contact CCWD at 734-1026 to arrange flow tests.
10. Cross connection and Backflow prevention – All new and remodeled commercial buildings in the Town will be required to install a backflow prevention device "RPZ" and will be required to submit annual test results online with "BSI Online" or current backflow monitoring company as per Section 5 of the NYS Sanitary Code. There is a $150.00 Town fee for this application.
There is an additional fee of $150.00 for the Westchester County Department of Health. More information regarding this is located under "downloadable forms". For more information contact Steve Ferreira at (914) 734-1026.
11. Residents can obatin general information from Westchester County at the Water Hotline at (914) 813-5000.