Please select a year.
Employment Opportunity: Superintendent of Recreation
Superintendent of Recreation
Town of Cortlandt
Department of Recreation and Conservation
Notice of a Job Opening
Starting Salary - $120,000
Under the supervision of the Town Supervisor this position is responsible for planning, organizing, promoting, developing, implementing, directing, and coordinating the public recreation and/or park programs and functions suitable to the needs and interests of the community and the planning for and utilization of desirable facilities. Administrative activity focuses on coordination of the work of professional and non-professional personnel and coordination of other community resources for the implementation of services. This position involves the supervision of large numbers of professional, non-professional and seasonal staff. Does related work as required.
- Administers the work of the recreation and/or parks department in accordance with the policies established by the Town of Cortlandt
- Plans and directs a broad and varied program of recreation activities for all age groups and interests
- Directs the work of professional recreation personnel engaged in planning, organizing, promoting, developing, coordinating and supervising the major municipal recreation programs
- Reviews and analyzes the progress and effectiveness of public recreation programs
- Makes recommendations effecting policy formulation and the addition, deletion, or revision of programs, locations or activities
- Promotes the organization and administration of recreation activities and park facilities to insure maximum utilization and efficiency
- Recruits, selects (subject to personnel policies of the jurisdiction), assigns, develops and trains the professional, non-professional, volunteer and other personnel needed for the successful operation of the agency
- Prepares, justifies, administers and controls the departmental budget having responsibility for fiscal operation of said budget
- Organizes and promotes a public relations program
- Represents the Town government at community meetings to explain the organization, its purposes, services and activities
- Town Board meetings, Work Sessions, Department Head meetings and any other meetings as required by the Supervisor
- Organizes and coordinates the Parks and Recreation Conservation Council
- Directs and/or organizes special activities and events
- Supervises a staff of professional, non-professional maintenance, seasonal and volunteer personnel
Bachelor's Degree in Recreation, Parks Resources, Leisure Services, Physical Education or related recreation degree and five (5) experience where the primary function was the conduct of recreation services, activities and three (3) years of supervisory experience in the field of Recreation. Town Residents preferred.
To apply contact Claudia Vahey, firstname.lastname@example.org. Town of Cortlandt is an EOE. Application deadline Friday, February 10, 2023.