Please select a year.
Board of Assessment Review Members Needed
For more information contact:
Claudia Vahey, Human Resources
Town of Cortlandt
(914) 734-1004 Fax: (914) 734-1003
Cortlandt Manor, NY, June 9, 2023
TOWN OF CORTLANDT BOARD OF ASSESSMENT REVIEW MEMBERS NEEDED
The Town of Cortlandt is currently seeking volunteers to serve on the Board of Assessment Review. The Board of Assessment Review meets during the month of June for various sessions in order to review Grievance applications filed by residents of the Town of Cortlandt. Experience in real estate preferred. If you are interested in serving on this important board or would like more information please contact Claudia Vahey, Human Resources, email@example.com or Denise Knauer, Town Assessor at DKnauer@townofcortlandt.com. Applications will be accepted until Friday, June 23, 2023. See information below about the position. Thank you.
Board of Assessment Review (BAR) – Description and Duties:
The Town of Cortlandt Assessor determines the taxable value of real property. If taxpayers disagree with their tentative assessments, their initial right to an administrative review of their assessment is by the Town’s Board of Assessment Review (BAR). The BAR is considered to be a quasi-judicial body.
The members of the BAR are charged with the responsibility of reviewing each Complaint on Assessment (RP-524) and supporting documentation on its on merit, and to apply appropriate laws and reasoning to the facts in a fair and confidential manner.
A member of the board of assessment review should ideally possess the following qualifications:
- Possess knowledge and understanding of the residential real estate market values, trends and participants in the Town of Cortlandt (e.g. neighborhoods and market sectors).
- Understand the different types of value (investment value, market value, construction value, etc.).
- Able to read/interpret real estate appraisals and Multiple Listing report of sold properties.
- Apply judicial temperament, patience, and tact.
- Provide a fair hearing.
- Safeguard the constitutional guarantees of due process of law.
- Withdraw from a case where he/she deems him/herself disqualified by reason of personal or business relationships or a conflict of interest.
Term of Office:
- Members are appointed by the legislative body for a five-year term of office.
- The terms of office must begin on October 1 and end on September 30, five years later.
- Terms must be staggered so that only one term expires each year.
- Persons appointed on a date other than October 1, to fill an unexpired term, serve until September 30 on which that term ends.
All initial appointees or re-appointees to the BAR must attend a training session, taught by the Executive Director of the Westchester County Tax Commission prior to Grievance Day.
- Grievance Day – takes place on the 3rd Tuesday of June each year. This year it is June 20, 2023.
- Deliberative sessions – take place during the months of July and August. These are closed executive sessions in which the BAR members consider the complaints/supporting documentation and make their determination.