Skip Navigation

Town of Cortlandt, NY

Email a link to this web page.
Simply fill out this form and click Send.
*Fields in Red are required.
*You must enter a valid email
*You must enter a valid email.
Town of Cortlandt SealGo to our home page

Frequently Asked Questions

Page Navigation Show page menu
  • Frequently Asked Questions

Department: Town Clerk

  • Town Clerk's Permits, Certificates, Licenses
    • How do I obtain a Death Certificate?

      You can obtain a certified copy of the death certificate of a parent, spouse, child, or sibling, in person, or request it through the mail.  If you are not one of the above relations, please call our office for clarification on what documents you will need.

      NYS says a death certificate can be issued to the following:

      1. To the spouse, parent, sibling or child of the deceased.
      2. To a lawful representative of the spouse, parent, sibling or child of the deceased.
      3. To a person with a new York State Court order.
      4. To a person requiring the record for a documented legal right or claim.
      5. To a person requiring a record for a documented medical need.
      6. To a municipal, state or federal agency when needed for official purposes.

      There is a charge of $10.00 per certified death certificate.

      In Person:

      • You will need to schedule an appointment once you are ready to come in.
      • Please print and fill out the necessary application. CLICK HERE If you do not have access to a printer, there are copies available at our counter.
      • Photo ID is required. Driver’s license or passport is fine.
      • The cost is $10.00 per copy, we accept
          • cash (in person only)
          • check (made out to Cortlandt Town Clerk)
          • money order (made out to Cortlandt Town Clerk)
          • credit card (there is a $1.75 surcharge fee for the CC)

      Via Mail:

      • Please print and fill out the necessary application. CLICK HERE
      • Make a copy of your current driver’s license/ state identification card/Passport and sign the page – have your signature notarized by a Licensed Notary Public.
      • The cost is $10.00 per copy, we accept
          • check (NYS CHECKS ONLY - made out to Cortlandt Town Clerk)
          • money order (made out to Cortlandt Town Clerk)
          • credit card (there is a $1.75 surcharge fee for the CC – please include a note with your phone number, and we will call to take payment at the time your request is processed)
      • Please mail to:
        • Office of the Town Clerk

      1 Heady Street

      Cortlandt Manor, NY 10567

      • For expedited processing, please include a prepaid return envelope with the shipping speed and company of your choice.
    • How do I obtain a Marriage License?

      Town Clerk & Registrar's Office

      1 Heady St
      Cortlandt Manor, NY 10567



      Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, except on the last day of the month when they are only issued from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM. 

      To download a Marriage License Form  CLICK HERE


      Where do you get a marriage license?

      A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply in person for a marriage license to any town or city clerk in the state. The application for a license must be signed by both applicants in the presence of the town or city clerk. A representative cannot apply for the license on behalf of the applicant. This applies even if the representative has been given a Power of Attorney.

      Notarized marriage license affidavits signed by the applicants cannot be substituted for their personal appearance.

      Is there a waiting period?

      Yes. Although the marriage license is issued immediately, the marriage ceremony may not take place within 24 hours from the exact time that the license was issued.

      The 24-hour waiting period may be waived by a judge or justice of the Supreme Court of New York State or the county judge of the county in which either party to be married resides, or if such party is at least seventeen years of age, the judge of the Family Court of such county.

      How long is the license valid?

      A marriage license is valid for 60 calendar days, beginning the day after it is issued.

      How much does the license cost?

      If the marriage license is issued by a town or city clerk in New York State outside of New York City, it costs $40. This fee includes the issuance of a Certificate of Marriage Registration. This certificate is automatically sent by the issuing clerk to the applicants within 15 calendar days after the completed license is returned by the officiant (person who performs the marriage ceremony). It serves as notice that a record of the marriage is on file. Couples who do not receive a Certificate of Marriage Registration within four weeks of the wedding should contact the town or city clerk who issued the license.

      If the license is to be issued by the City Clerk of the City of New York, please contact the New York City Clerk's Office for current fees and requirements. The City Clerk's Office can be reached at (212) NEW-YORK or via its web site at NEW YORK CITY MARRIAGE BUREAU.

      Is a premarital physical exam required?

      No premarital examination or blood test is required to obtain a marriage license in New York State.

      Who can get married?

      Age Requirements

      • If either applicant is under 17 years of age, a marriage license cannot be issued.

      • If either applicant is 17 years of age, such applicant(s) must present the written consent of both parents and a justice of the Supreme Court or a judge of the Family Court having jurisdiction over the town or city in which the application is made.

      • If both applicants are 18 years of age or older, no consents are required.

      • One parent alone may consent to a minor's marriage if:

        • The other parent has been missing for one year preceding the application;

        • The parents are divorced and the consenting parent was given sole custody of the child when the divorce decree was awarded;

        • The other parent has been judged incompetent; or the other parent is deceased.

        • Parents, guardians or other people consenting to the marriage of a minor must personally appear and acknowledge or execute their consent before the town or city clerk or some other authorized official. If the notarized affidavit is made before an official outside of the State of New York, it must be accompanied by a certificate of authentication when the consent is filed in New York State.

      Proof of Age and Identity

      A person is required to provide proof of age by submitting a birth certificate.

      A person must establish identity. Identity related documents:

      1. Driver's license or Non-driver ID

      2. Passport

      3. Employment picture ID

      4. Immigration record

      Familial Restrictions

      A marriage may not take place in New York State between an ancestor and descendant, siblings (full or half blood), an uncle and niece or nephew or an aunt and niece or nephew, regardless of whether or not these persons are legitimate or illegitimate offspring.

      Previous Marriages

      Information regarding previous marriages must be furnished in the application for a marriage license. This includes whether the former spouse or spouses are living, and whether the applicants are divorced and, if so, when, where and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted. A certified copy of the Decree of Divorce or a Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage may be required by the clerk issuing the marriage license.

      Surname Options

      Every person has the right to adopt any name by which he or she wishes to be known simply by using that name consistently and without intent to defraud. A person's last name (surname) does not automatically change upon marriage, and neither party to the marriage is required to change his or her last name. Parties to a marriage need not take the same last name.

      One or both parties to a marriage may elect to change the surname by which he or she wishes to be known after the marriage by entering the new name in the appropriate space provided on the marriage license. The new name must consist of one of the following options:

      • the surname of the other spouse;

      • any former surname of either spouse;

      • a name combining into a single surname all or a segment of the premarriage surname or any former surname of each spouse;

      • a combination name separated by a hyphen, provided that each part of such combination surname is the premarriage surname, or any former surname, of each of the spouses.

      The use of this option will provide a record of your change of name. The marriage certificate, containing the new name, if any, is proof that the use of the new name, or the retention of the former name, is lawful. The local Social Security Administration office should be contacted so that its records and your social security identification card reflect the name change. There is no charge for this service.

      To change the name on your NYS driver license or non-driver identification, contact the DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES for information.

      Whether you decide to use or not use this option at the time of your marriage license application, you still have the right to adopt a different name through usage at some future date. However, your marriage license cannot be changed to record a surname you decide to use after your marriage.

      If you plan to use your married name at work, be sure to have your name changed in Social Security records. This way, you will get credit for all your earnings. It's easy and it's absolutely free. Contact any Social Security office. You can find the address and phone number of your local Social Security Office at HTTP://WWW.SSA.GOVYou will need documentary evidence showing both your old name and your new name.

      Where can a marriage take place?

      A New York State marriage license may be used within New York State only. Please note that if you go out of New York State to be married, your New York State marriage license will not be filed in New York State.

      What about the ceremony?

      There is no particular form or ceremony required except that the parties must state in the presence of an authorized public official or authorized member of the clergy and at least one other witness that each takes the other as his or her spouse. There is no minimum age for a witness. However, in selecting a witness, choose at least one person who you feel would be competent to testify in a court proceeding as to what he or she witnessed.

      Who can perform a marriage ceremony?

      To be valid, a marriage ceremony must be performed by any of the individuals specified in Section 11 of the New York State Domestic Relations Law. These include:

      • The current or a former governor;

      • the mayor of a city or village;

      • the former mayor, the city clerk or one of the deputy city clerks of a city of more than one million inhabitants;

      • a marriage officer appointed by the town or village board or the city common council;

      • a justice or judge of the following courts: the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern or Western Districts of New York, the New York State Court of Appeals, the Appellate Division of the New York State Supreme Court, the New York State Supreme Court, the Court of Claims, the Family Court, a Surrogates Court, the Civil and Criminal Courts of New York City (including Housing judges of the Civil Court) and other courts of record;

      • a village, town or county justice;

      • a member of the clergy or minister who has been officially ordained and granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body;

      • a member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing church body but who has been chosen by a spiritual group to preside over their spiritual affairs;

      • other officiants as specified by Section 11 of the Domestic Relations Law.

      The person performing the ceremony must be registered with the City of New York in order to perform a ceremony within the New York City limits. The officiant does not have to be a resident of New York State. Ship captains are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in New York State.

      Where do you get copies of records?

      For copies of marriage licenses issued anywhere in New York State except the five (5) boroughs of New York City, a certified copy of the marriage record may be obtained from the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license, or from the New York State Department of Health. The fee is $10 if you obtain a certified copy from the town or city clerk who issued the license. If applying to the New York State Department of Health, the fee is $30. For a certified copy, write to:

      • New York State Department of Health
        Bureau of Vital Records Certification Unit
        P.O. Box 2602
        Albany, New York 12220-2602

      For marriage licenses issued in New York City, do not apply to the New York State Department of Health. For an application, current fees and ordering information contact the City Clerk of New York at (212) NEW-YORK or visit their web site at NEW YORK CITY MARRIAGE BUREAUYou can also write them at:

      New York City marriage records from 1930 to 1995 can be obtained solely from the Manhattan Office.


      Office of the City Clerk
      141 Worth Street
      New York, New York 10013


      Supreme Court Building
      851 Grand Concourse, Room B131
      New York, New York 10451


      Municipal Building
      210 Joralemon Street, 2nd Floor, Room 205
      Brooklyn, New York 11201


      Borough Hall Building
      120-55 Queens Boulevard, Room G-100
      Kew Gardens, New York 11424


      Borough Hall Building
      10 Richmond Terrace, 3rd Floor, Room 311
      Staten Island, New York 10301


    • How do I obtain a Dog License?

      In accordance with New York State Law, all dogs 6 months of age or older and any dog under 6 months running at large must be licensed.

      Documents needed to license your dog include:

      1. Proof of a valid rabies vaccination from your veterinarian.
      2. If your dog is spayed or neutered, proof of same.


      Unaltered dog - $18.00 per year
      Altered dog - $10.00 per year

      All dog licenses are to be renewed every year.

      For information, call (914) 734-1020

    • How do I obtain a Hunting and Fishing License?

      All information regarding hunting and fishing licenses requirements and classes can be found on the following New York State Web Site:

      New York State DEC Website

    • How do I obtain a Handicapped Parking Permit?

      Handicapped Parking Permits are issued in the Town Clerk’s Office at the locality where you reside.

      A Doctor’s note must be provided with the patients name and address which states if the disability is temporary or permanent.

      A temporary permit is issued for a period of 6 months and if there is need to renew an additional doctor’s note must be presented.

      A permanent handicapped permit is issued for a three year period. A renewal can be issued without another doctors note at the Town Clerk’s Office.

      In accordance with New York State Law, only one permit per patient can be issued. The permits can be used in any vehicle the disabled person is a passenger.

      For information or questions, please call 914-734-1020

    • What if I need a BUILDING PERMIT

      If you are looking for a building permit - please contact our Code Enforcement Division of DOTS at 914-734-1010.